Monday, July 12, 2010

Leo says the darndest things

IMG_2036

 

IMG_2065

This morning I was changing Leo’s diaper and he was holding two of his trains—Percy and Christmas Percy. He was just chatting away and he said, “Percy and Christmas Percy get diaper changed. No. They don’t put diapers on the wheels. They get peed on.”

 

Another one from this morning:

Me: Leo, did you watch soccer yesterday?

Leo: YES!

Me: Who won?

Leo: I don’t know. (He says this all the time; it’s sometimes preceded by “I say…”)

Me: Was it the Netherlands?

Leo: Noooo

Me: Was it Spain?

Leo: Yes. Spain won, Mommy. Who won the basketball game? The circus!

Me: The circus? Who did the circus play? The zoo?

Leo: Noooo. The Lakers! 

Me: Oh, you meant the Celtics!

Leo: The Celtics.

Me: Who won that basketball game?

Leo: I don’t know.

Me: Yes, you do. Who won? The Celtics or the Lakers?

Leo: The Lakers!!

 

From a few weeks ago:

Me: “Where is Christmas Percy?”

Leo: “Maybe ask Percy!”

(I love how that not only makes sense but that he uses the word ‘maybe.’)

 

If we’re at a store and he wants to leave, he says, “I don’t like this store!” We were at HomeGoods and he said that. I said, “Really? Because I was just thinking that I like this store a lot!” When we got up to checkout, he stood on his tippy toes and got his chin right up to the counter so he could tell the lady, “I don’t like this store!”

In fact, he says he doesn’t like a lot of things:

“I don’t like the sun.”

“I don’t like Rah Rah’s show.” (The news)

“I don’t like Mac N Cheese.” (A lie.)

“It’s no big deal” is what he says when things go wrong: trains fall off tracks, he misses a basketball shot, etc. But he says it as he’s screaming or crying, “IT’S NO BIG DEAL!” (hence making it a really big deal).

 

Last night I said, “How is your ice cream?” He said, “It’s good. It’s cold.”

 

 

He likes to tell  us what to say:

Leo: Mommy say who says choo choo

Me: Who says choo choo?

Leo: Thomas!

 

He’s also into that stage where he wants us to “watch” everything he does.

“Watch this!” he says. And when we say, “Okay, we’re watching,” he does some crazy little dance. This weekend in the pool he said, “Watch this” and he would jump off a step. I guess after the 100th time I forgot to praise him so he said, “Mommy say ‘Good job doing that!’”

 

I should point out that he doesn’t say all these things totally clearly but we can understand 95% of what he says. But   here’s something I don’t understand at all: “Tee tee tot. Alsa Fwank.” And then he laughs hysterically. We now get that “Alsa Fwank” is “Elsa Frank” but we don’t know why he says “Tee tee tot” before it.

 

He LOVES to pretend, especially with his Little People. He puts them on the school bus and says they’re going to various places like Babies R Us (which is a rug in our kitchen). They’re always buying a football there. This morning he was pretending that he was giving Ernie (from Sesame Street) a ticket to get on a train. He makes up this whole story and dances around, saying, “Here is your ticket, Ernie!” Oh, and Ernie is his own shadow. He also loves his shadow and yesterday, tried to hug it. Right now he’s skipping around singing, “Go see my shadow!” And now, “Look at my shadow! Look, the shadow’s clapping.”

 

Here are a couple of videos of him playing with his shadow:

4 comments:

GR said...

On that 1st video, there was a man's voice that sounded like he should be doing voice-overs for commercials.

Yes, Leo. The Lakers did win and that really stinks!

Granny Jo said...

Thanks for the update on Leo's
verbal skills...it prepares me for my visit next week. I can't wait to "pretend" with him.

Writinggal said...

Just got a call from CNN. They want that guy on the video to replace James Earl Jones.

Kristin said...

Maybe you could teach Leo the song "Me and My Shadow"