Monday, October 10, 2011

Gus has been here four months



I guess God thinks I have enough on my plate because, boy, did he go easy on me with this one! Gus is so easy-going and happy! I believe that if Gus were to speak right now he'd say, "Whatever."

Yesterday he cried at length and we didn't know how to console him but that is really rare. It's only happened one other time. With most babies you're outside bouncing them around, trying a bunch of different things: Is he hungry? Is he tired? Does he need to burp? Is his diaper dirty? Does he have a hair wrapped around his pinky toe? Not with Gus. If he does cry, it's like, "Oh, he's hungry."

He smiles all the time now. If you catch his eyes, he'll smile at you. He coos and coos--sometimes he squeals with delight.

We rarely do tummy time (because of his epic spit-up, his only flaw!) so he hasn't rolled over yet. I think he might roll from back to front first. He can roll from his back to his side but not quite all the way over.

He's a full-fledged thumb sucker now. I'm pro-thumb-sucking. I, personally, was a thumb sucker so it's nice that Gus does something like me (since he looks like Frank and is laid-back like him too). Plus, when Gus does wake up in the middle of the night, I watch him on the monitor as he just sticks his thumb in his mouth and starts sucking away, putting himself back to sleep. Can't do that with a paci!

And speaking of sleeping...he is awesome at that too. I don't know when Leo started becoming a nightmare napper but so far Gus is consistent with daytime and nighttime sleep. I don't know how long this will last but we don't even have to rock him. I just swaddle him (with one arm out so he can suck his thumb), sing Twinkle Twinkle, lay him down completely awake and he goes to sleep. Amazing.

Leo loves him but we STILL have to remind him to be gentle and to not give him things. ("Here, Gus, hold this race car!" "What? He likes it!")

"Thank you for this adorable onesie, Grandmother! I am huge so 6-9 months fits great!"

"Oops! I fell but I don't mind!"


"And then I spit-up. But I don't mind that either!"

We are head over heels in love with this boy! (I'm sure we would love him just as much if he were fussy and ugly but the fact that he is happy and cute is sure nice!)



5 comments:

Granny Jo said...

Happy 4 months,Gus. You are such a cutie! Tell your mom that thumbs are better than pacis cos you can't lose them.

GR said...

You are precious . I am glad that the new onesie is such a good fit. I found a blanket to go with your thumb. It has great binding so don't let anyone in your house steal it.
Grandmother

Kristin said...

Cannot believe my sweet, sweet August Frank is 4 months old! You are such a precious angel, I love you! Tia Kristin

Liz said...

So... what you're telling me is that it IS possible to love a second baby as much as a first one?! I don't have a second on in the plans yet, but I'm having a hard time believing I could love my Gus as much as my Leo. That said... I can SEE that they both rule. So.... answering my own question?!

Writinggal said...

Thanks, everyone! Gus and Leo both proved me wrong after I wrote this: Gus had a melt down and Leo told us not to put the Spingo game pieces near Gus because they were too small.
Liz, yes, it's possible to love your second child as much as your first but only if the second is as awesome as Gus :)