Sunday, September 18, 2011

Carpooling and Kicking with Leo

September has brought a lot of new activities for Leo: he started preschool AND soccer.

He goes to a Presbyterian church for preschool. (Sorry, Catholic church. Your tuition was higher and you lacked the carpool line this lazy mom desired.) Leo's buddies John and Dawson also go to this preschool but they are in the three-day class. Leo is in the four-day class because he is gifted. Just kidding. He's in the four-day class because that's all we could get into since the three-day class was booked. But it's working out great. Dawson's mommy kindly takes Leo to school each morning that Dawson goes. They go in the carpool line which is a lot of fun. Then I pick Leo up at 1:00 and he chats the whole way home about his adventures. Here are some things he's told me:

--He was "The Weatherman" last week. His job was to look out the window and then announce to the class what the weather was like.
--He would like to be the "flag holder" one day.
--When the flag holder holds the flag they say the pledge. I only know this because he started saying something that was the same cadence as the pledge and then Dawson's mommy confirmed it.
--Someone named Ellie had a birthday and they had cupcakes.
--He sits on a star that says "L-E-O" for story time. His class' name is "The Stars."
--They have story time every day and they sing some song about how they should be quiet.
--Ms. Amanda, his teacher, calls pee-pee "tinkle."
--At first he wouldn't eat his snack because it was on a paper towel but then he did. He even throws his paper towel away. (His teacher actually told me that.)
--He didn't get to play in the Diego house one day. It wasn't his turn. He had to do another activity. (Seriously, he said "activity.")

On an unrelated note, (well, sort of related to the "tinkle" comment), Leo now pees standing up. And not only that, he just goes into the bathroom by himself, lifts the seat, pulls down his pants and goes! It's so funny to see him do that. I did so good training Frank to put the seat down and now I'll need to train Leo too. Or maybe I should just accept that I'm outnumbered!

Now, for his other first--soccer. Leo is in a sports class again but this one is outdoors and it's four weeks of soccer and four weeks of t-ball. Leo does okay with the soccer skills but he sometimes has trouble following directions. For instance, for one "activity," they were supposed to dribble a soccer ball from one side of the field to another. Leo just stood there looking very confused. The coach had to keep saying, "Leo, kick the ball!" after all the other kids were already back to the other side. Oh, well. Maybe we'll have better luck with t-ball!

Here are some pics from the last couple of weeks:

The cutest part about soccer is how he wears those high socks and shin guards!







The only "first day of preschool" pic I have is this one and it's not even the real first day!
Leo zonked out after a rough day at preschool. I love how he's sleeping on his stuffed Chicken. (She-Liz, that is the chicken you gave him!")


Leo took this picture of me! I think he is a budding photographer. (Well, there was another one with fingers in front of the screen.)




If you look closely, you can see that Gus' shirt says "Gus." We are having a bit of a cool front so Gus is sporting pants for the first time in his life!




Here's Gus and me on our "date night." Frank and Leo went to the Braves game and Gus and I stayed in. It was so lovely!


Call the Guiness Book of World Records. Leo ate 17 mini pancakes one morning! (Oh, and that's syrup in the coffee mug.)

5 comments:

Writinggal said...

Just thought I should clarify that Leo's soccer class is ONCE a week for eight weeks, not every day! I'm not that much of a soccer mom.

Granny Jo said...

So glad the carpool is working out so well. And can't wait to see Leo play soccer...t-ball, too!

GR said...

Soccer is one sport that I won't be able to show him anything about, but I'm glad that he's trying it on for size. It's a great activity for kids.

Kristin said...

So cute, I love the shin guards! Maybe they are going in alphabetical order to hold the flag for the pledge. This happen to me in kindergarten, and I thought the teacher didn't like me. Then I learned you had to be patient when your last name starts with a "W".

Liz said...

YAY! His chicken! That is so funny... and cute. I must say, I often use Charlie's stuffed animals when I'm laying on the ground playing with him (aka trying not to pass out again at 6:30am). Ha. Love you Leo!