Monday, October 29, 2007

Good things come to those who wait

Wasn’t that a Heinz commercial? And wasn’t Matt LeBlanc in it?

Anyway, I’m applying it to waiting to find out the sex of our baby. Since statistics (and most people’s reactions when I tell them) say I’m in the minority, I thought I’d speak up for those of us with neutral nurseries.

Here are my favorite reasons to wait:

Finding out the sex before the birth is like opening your Christmas presents in July.

“A baby need’s an entrance!” –Jerry Seinfeld

When the baby’s born it will be so much fun to hear “It’s a boy!” or “It’s a girl!” and we can say, “Awwww…” rather than “Duh!”

We don’t care if it’s a boy or a girl so why do we need to know ahead of time?

Yellow, green, purple, red, black, white, brown…there are plenty of other colors besides pink and blue

When we tell people we had the baby they’ll be on pins and needles, waiting to find out what it was. If they already know they’ll just ask, “Um, how much did it weigh?”

It’s the last time we’ll ever get to be surprised!

Our parents and grandparents didn’t get to know.

We have the rest of our lives to know what it is. Why can’t we wait a few months? –fellow mom-to-be Halle Berry




Knock Knock. Who's there? I can't tell you until sometime around April 24th!

9 comments:

Jessi said...

I totally agree with you, but I'm not pregnant and I like to change my mind many times.

Writinggal said...

Waiting is great if you like to change your mind a lot! Sometimes I pretend it's a boy...sometimes I pretend it's a girl...sometimes I pretend it's a cat who just sleeps all the time, doesn't cry and does its business in a litter box.

Anonymous said...

all of your reasons are very sound... i'm the type of person that if there's something i could find out, i will (even though i like surprises!)

it does bring more fun into the delivery room though i'll say!!

Anonymous said...

I chose not to know during both of my pregnancies and it was so much fun. Of course the doctor had to remind me to "open my eyes" so I could see if it was a boy or a girl!

Writinggal said...

Silly, Mandy. They didn't have that technology in the 50s!

Vela Family said...

Kudos to you for being able to wait!! I'm a planner and have to have everything planned to the "T" before she gets here!!

Good thing your are in Atlanta - otherwise I'd bug you to death about it until you found out.

Writinggal said...

Now even if we get to the 20 week ultrasound and change our minds, we don't have a choice. I've made too big a stink about it!

Thea said...

So, can you still hula hoop when you're with child?

Writinggal said...

Oh, definitely! In fact, the baby thinks it's fun!